Tonight, my girlfriend and I made a wonderful dinner for her parents and ourselves. We went round and round this afternoon after church as to what to make…
Initially we were planning on making some homemade chili with cornbread. We stopped by Trader Joe’s to pick up some pinto beans and… as luck would have it… they were out… COMPLETELY OUT! What kind of store runs out of beans?! Come on!!!
But I digress…
We eventually came to rest on “Vegan Chick’n Tortilla Soup”… and thanks to the marvelous world that is the internet we found a great recipe (that we modified) on allrecipies.com. And I have to say it was DELICIOUS and did a wonderful job clearing out my sinuses. Just the right amount of spice! I am gonna include our modified version of the recipe below… do yourself a favor and try it out!
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 2 diced red bell peppers
* 1 large yellow onion
* 1 packet Trader Joe’s Taco Seasoning mix
* 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1 (7 ounce) cans chopped green chili peppers, drained
* 4 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
* 1 can pinto beans
* One Package(4 count) Gardein Chick’n Filets
* 12 ounces tortilla chips
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the pepper and onion stir fry mix, garlic, and cumin, and cook 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Mix in the tomatoes and chile peppers. Pour in the broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.
2. Mix corn into the soup, and continue cooking 5 minutes. Serve in bowls over equal amounts of tortilla chips. Top with cheese and avocado.