This has easily become one of our favorite meals here in the Rowe household. Which isn’t saying a whole lot since there are only two of us that eat solid food and need to be convinced that it’s good! Hahahaha
Here’s our spin on the recipe:
Whole Wheat Lasagna
Prep time: Around 45 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 8oz box of Whole Wheat Lasagna noodles
- 1 16oz bag of frozen spinach, thawed, squeeze excess water out
- 2 26oz jars of Tomato Basil Marinara from Trader Joe’s
- 1 bag of Meatless Meatballs from Trader Joe’s (partially cooked and then broken up to resemble ground beef)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 handful of Daiya Mozzarella Shreds (enough to sprinkle on top only)
- 1 pound of extra firm tofu
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. of tsp sea salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp. of chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped fresh basil (one large bunch should do)
- Press water out of tofu by wrapping in a clean towel, and placing a pot or pan on top for about 10-20 minutes
- Crumble the tofu in a bowl, and add lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast, sea salt, black pepper, sundried tomatoes, fresh basil, and dried oregano
- Using a fork or potato masher, smash up the tofu and additional ingredients really well until it resembles ricotta cheese in texture
- Set aside until ready to use
- Bring a large pot of water with 2 T olive oil to a boil, and cook noodles according to package (the oil will prevent the noodles from sticking together). Cook them for a few minutes less than suggested, so that they can finish cooking in the oven.
- When noodles are done cooking, drain and rinse in cold water
- While the noodles are cooking, heat 2 T olive oil in a saute pan, and saute crumbled meatless meatballs a few minutes
- Add 2 jars of marinara sauce and 2 chopped red peppers to the pan, and let simmer about 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a rectangular pyrex glass dish, start layering your lasagna:
Start by adding a little sauce on the bottom, then 4 noodles, then sauce, spinach, tofu ricotta, 4 noodles, sauce, spinach, ricotta,4 noodles, and then end with sauce and cover the top with shredded vegan cheese (you should have 3 layers of noodles).
- Cover top of dish with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and cook an additional 10 minutes until cheese melts a little on top.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Whew! I sure hope that’s everything. If you have any questions or it seems like i left anything out, please ask or shoot me a message. And most importantly… ENJOY!